What is an ENERGY STAR HOME ?
Energy Star is the government-backed program that helps us all save money and protect our environment with energy-efficient products and practices. An ENERGY STAR HOME is a home that has been designed and built to meet the latest energy efficient specifications required by Efficiency Vermont program and the US Environmental Protection Agency.
Why should I build or remodel to achieve an Energy Star Rating?
- 30% lower energy bills than homes built to minimum state energy code requirements.
- Lower maintenance costs – Your home will be more air-tight and better ventilated than an ordinary house. That means you’ll avoid moisture problems, like sweating windows, paint failure, mold growth, structural damage, and ice dams.
- Healthier indoor air. Proper ventilation means less risk of mold, mildew, dust mites, or back-drafting from combustion appliances.
- Greater comfort – You’ll eliminate drafts and have greater control of indoor temperature at lower energy costs.
- Assurance – Your home will be approved by the US Environmental Protection Agency as ENERGY STAR qualified.
- Pride – You’ll be helping to protect the environment. By saving energy, you’ll reduce power usage and air pollution.
- Greater resale value – For all of the above reasons.
Cambium’s interest in building energy rated and efficient homes didn’t start with the energy crisis.
We have always used the latest technologies and best building practices regarding energy efficiency because it is just the right thing to do.
We have been partnering with Efficiency Vermont to build Energy Efficient homes since 2004.
To date we have built or renovated 8 high performance homes. One of our highest performance homes has achieved an ACH 1.2 and HERS score of 40. We hope to find a customer who wishes to work together on a passive or net zero home. Cambium Construction is proud to work with Efficiency Vermont’s Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program to deliver whole-house energy savings to improve comfort and help protect the environment. We take pride in educating our customers in Energy Star and are happy to offer this service.
Can any contractor build an Energy Rated Home?
No. Only contractors that have participated in approved seminars, classes and supplemental education will have the knowledge base of materials and building techniques necessary to meet the qualifications. Buildings must pass two inspections to qualify. Continued education is also required to keep abreast of this fast pace ever changing technology.
For more information on ENERGY STAR, visit the Efficiency Vermont
website at: http://www.efficiencyvermont.com/
or the US EPA
site at http://www.energystar.gov/